Small leathergoods by hand 2019
*To book your place you must pay the deposit amount shown above. The remaining balance of £650 will be charged 8 week before the course starts*
This 6 day course will be divided into two 3 day sessions with a rest day between. There is a demand for well made, hand stitched small leathergoods using good quality leathers. On the course, students will learn how to perfect the skills required to make ‘cut edged’ and ‘turned-edged’ small leathergoods by hand. Items covered will include suit wallets, folding note-cases/wallets, credit card cases, phone/ipad cases, purses, key cases, passport covers etc. The leathers available will all be vegetable tanned skins and the linings could be either thin leather or silk. Threads will be fine linen but some silk will also be available. Accurate and neat stitching is essential so learning how to achieve consistency will be a primary aim of the course.
Course notes will be provided.
The course syllabus includes:
- Accurate pattern-making, the first step to a successful project
- Hand paring using both a paring knife and a bench mounted paring machine
- Construction options which include cut and turned edges & bindings
- Linings – thin leathers and silks
- How to hand stitch calf, goat and pig skins
- Fittings suitable for fine work
- Finishing edges on cut-edged work
- Techniques and tips for neat turned edge constructions
- Knife sharpening, particularly the paring knife
Leather and lining materials will be available for students to buy for this course as they are not included in the course fee. However students can bring their own materials if they wish. Tools are provided for students to use and some will be available to buy at the end of the course. (Lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments are included in the course fee)
October 5th to 11th ( Saturday -Monday . Wednesday – Friday)
Course Fee: £1300
This is the total amount payable for the course.
Book your place below:
MacGregor and Michael
37 Silver Street
Tel/Fax: (0044) 01666 502179