Briefcases – Top Frame or Flap-over style . 2021
*To book your place you must pay the deposit. The remaining balance will be charged 8 weeks before the course starts*
This 7 day course is divided into two sessions with a rest day between. Through a staged process, this course will teach the principle construction techniques for making either a ‘top’ framed piece of luggage/briefcase or a traditional 3 compartment flap over style briefcase. Students will need to choose which style to make but can watch and learn elements of the style not chosen.
The course is suitable for those with experience or students who have been on courses with us in the past, it is not suitable for complete beginners. The course tutor will be Neil MacGregor.
The key areas to be covered include:
- Pattern cutting according to the style chosen
- Choice options : leathers, locks and linings
- The making of the metal frame and covering the frame with leather or
- Preparing the steel support bar
- Preparing gussets
- Preparing and cutting out the leather for the body sections, the divisions, linings and handle
- Preparing and making the handle, attache or ‘D’ style, with the appropriate fittings
- Attaching locks and handles
Students will need to have some experience in cut edge finishing, paring/skiving and of course, hand stitching and will be helped to perfect their skills. A range of leathers and fittings will be available for students to buy and use on the course as they are not included in the course fee.
A set of tools is provided for each student to use while on the course and a small range of materials and tools will be available for students to buy at the end. Students can make copies of patterns for future use.
(Lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments are included within the course fee)
Book your place below:
MacGregor and Michael
37 Silver Street
Tel/Fax: (0044) 01666 502179