Bags – Designing and making leather bags by hand – 2021
*To book your place you must pay the deposit. The remaining balance will be charged 8 weeks before the course starts*
This 6 day course is divided into two 3 day sessions with a rest day between. It is designed to help students explore sources of inspiration, including looking at the history of bag styles for both men and women, leading to the development of their own design ideas. Students learn about different leathers and hand construction techniques. How to make different straps & handles and working out the pattern for oval based bags will be included. A range of leathers and fittings are available to buy. Students may decide to design and complete a new bag/collection during the course or may prefer to develop ideas, focusing on mastering techniques.
The syllabus includes:
- Brief history of bags and the development of their designs.
- Choosing suitable leathers
- Designing & Pattern making
- Options for linings
- Choosing hardware and fittings, locks or frames
- Zips – how to make and use them in pockets and for closing bags
- Hand stitching – the range of options ( saddle stitch, back stitch, butt and box stitch)
- Hand paring/skiving ( thinning leather)
- Making sample construction options including cut, turned, piped and bound edges and the leathers suitable for each option.
- Handles, straps and pockets.
This course is only suitable for those who are already experienced in bag making or who have already attended a course with us. Course notes will be provided.
A set of tools is provided for each student to use and a small range of tools and materials will be made available for students to buy at the end of the course. The cost of materials are not included in the course fee but are charged for separately, depending on what is chosen and used. (Lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments are included in the course fee)
Book your place below:
MacGregor and Michael
37 Silver Street
Tel/Fax: (0044) 01666 502179